The beautiful Nat pictured here on the right
Last week I wrote about my Guardian Angels and this week we are looking for one, for Nat. She is currently battling cancer and what many people may not know, often involves the need of blood transfusions. I had to have several blood transfusions, including platelet transfusions, while battling Hodgkins Disease (Lymphoma). When your counts drop, you cannot survive the battle without transfusions.
Unfortunately, Nat has a rare blood type known as Bombay blood or HH Positive. Since we have very few blood donors in our country, I believe 1% of our entire nation donates blood, you can imagine how difficult it is to find a match for Nat. Difficult but not impossible. This is why WE NEED YOUR HELP to find a GUARDIAN ANGEL DONOR. Time is running out!
Nat has actually found one matching donor but the match is a gay man. Did you know that gay men are not allowed to be blood or tissue donors? I never knew that either. Can you imagine knowing that you've found a healthy match, someone who could save your life, but they aren't allowed to? It's insane and heartbreaking!
There are actually a few ways that you can help:
1. Volunteer do be a donor if you are a match.
2. Spread the word to help find a match! Tell your friends and family, Tweet about it, post it on Facebook, where ever you can!
3. Sign this petition to lift the ban on healthy gay men donating blood.
4. Donate blood and get tested for reverse blood typing. It's easy and painless!
4. Show up and donate on February 22, 2013 from noon until 10:00PM at New Hope Eagle Fire Hall for a blood drive. 46 North Sugan Road, New Hope, Pennsylvania 18938
It does NOT matter if you don't live in Pennsylvania. A donor match can live anywhere in the United States. Time is so crucial!!! Please do what you can to help!!! Help us find Nat her guardian angel!!! It would SAVE HER LIFE!!!
If you'd like to read more about Nat's story, you can do so here at www.safepride.org